Sunday, October 7, 2012

Weeding and a single caterpillar

Caterpillar

This week I started weeding some of nettles the thistles and rag wart that been growing in the orchard. I have started with the weeds that are around the trees themselves and it’s been tough. I plan on burning them then next week. I will have to pull out more weeds then build a small bonfire and burn them. I may have to continue the progress for a couple of weeks, and build a small fire each week, the plan is to build small fires in places where in the next couple of years  I plan to plant trees, then cover the area with bovine manure. I may even plant some wild flower seeds so as to encourage them to grow, and spread before next round of planting.  

The orchard is full of weeds or plants that are traditionally thought of as weeds and I know that some of them provide a good food source for my bees   and encouraging a varied wildlife, it does half look messy, mind.  I need to cut paths in and around the trees again. This will probably have to wait until the beginning of spring next year. I need to get some of the equipment sharpened and ready for the amount of work that it will have to do.

I have also started to look at what creatures are in and around the orchard. I found a strange looking caterpillar, which was surprising as it’s getting darker and cooler, and I personally don’t associate October with caterpillars and butterflies. We are clearly into autumn and they seem to be thriving. Last week I found a frog and this week a caterpillar it’s good that the creatures are thriving in the orchard.

I still see loads of rabbits and hares in the orchard, which is good, and nice to see them when I arrive and then they dart off and disappear. I haven’t seen any pheasants in the orchard this year but have in previous years.

Horses may have been into the orchard again, recently as again they have left me lots of manure. I didn't see Chris but will have to talk to him. I would be more than disappointed if they were to damage any of the trees.
I don’t know the exact names of the creatures that I have come across but I am now aware of a website that I can upload pictures too and then people can try and identify them. Will have to do some research into this and start using it.

I plan to collect acorns and conkers if I see them and place them into the freezer and see if I can plant them in the orchard, just to increase the different types of trees and encourage more wildlife into the orchard. I may even plan another withy ring around when the bee hives are. It would be nice and a good food source 
for them in the early months of bee keeping season.

So many ideas and plans and they all seem so simple but getting the work done isn’t as easy. 

No comments: