Monday, August 20, 2012

Extraction of honey


Last week I took the honey from the orchard it wasn't loads and I left some in the hive I also took lots of wax. This year taking the supers from the hives was easy work the weather on the day was nice and I was able to check on the bees.

Its been a very strange year for me as a bee keeper. I havn't been able to get into the hives and check on the bees as I have done on previous years and in truth my weekly inspections just haven't happened. This has been inpart because of the weather, time constrains and my general tardiness.

However checking  on the bees on the day that I removed the suppers was great, the bees were very friendly and joyous to work with with. I normally extract twice a year once in April/May as many of the fields around the orchard have Rape Seed planted which is pretty when in bloom with its yellow flowers  however the honey crystlises quickly. I hadn't extracted that honey when I should have and much of the honey has crystalised in the honey comb and I wasn't able to get it out of the comb itself, instead I have given it back to the bees. What I have extracted though is lovely, one of the nicest and tastes honeys the bees have produced ever from the orchard. Im not sure if its because some of the honey would have been from a hive that was in my garden previously the hive was moved to the orchard and unfortunately won't be coming back to the house.

I used some new extraction processes which didn't work as well as expected however we also didn't make the usual mess. I borrowed the extractor from my friend but in future I may use the association facilities.

Down at the orchard all seems well I have checked on the trees, some of the leaves from the pear trees have started to turn red, I presume for the autum. The grass is still very long the farmer hasn't cut and baled it yet. I have apples and pears in trees in some trees.

No comments: