Wednesday, October 20, 2010

More work getting ready for winter


I've been doing more routine tidying up and getting ready for winter. I have put wood shavings around the roots of trees, that should rot down and become compost. I had my son with me and he was not happy, it was cold and windy and he just wanted me to take him home. I have done a couple of rows and have to apply some compost and bone-meal to encourage the trees to grow this will take a couple more weekends.

I had to work with my son sat on my shoulders, that was hard. I wouldn't recommend it. I have had some rabbit damage and have now pee'ed around the tree and put on a new rabbit guard. I hope that will deter the blighter's.

I also visited Ryton Gardens spoke to a couple of people about what I should be doing to prep up for winter. It was apple day. Tried some apples and juice. I did a taste test with my wife of egremont russet one organic and one not, we both thought the organic was much better sweeter, softer. However it had a lot more bumps and wasn't a nice circle shape.

The picture shows my wife holding an organic egremont russet at Ryton Gardens, in the orchard.

1 comment:

Casper Farrell said...

Hey Jitesh,

Good to see your orchard has thrived through the year...good to read all you conquests and challenges too!

All the best

Wayne