Monday, June 1, 2009

Wondering around




Its been a busy week. I havn't been on site at the orchard much this week. I checked the trees they are fine, and its a good thing I have put down the straw mulch around each tree.The grass is now getting very long, and thanks to the mulch the roots will be fine. The whole orchard is very pretty with thousands of yellow flowers.and walking through the field by wellies were covered in pollen.
I have built the beehive made a couple of mistakes, primarily on the supers but I have managed to get it fixed. I have been to various beehives this week. I've had a look around talked to people asked questions and learning practical skills. The hive still still not on site as I have not been given the bees that are being looked after by the apriary manager who is checking for diesase etc.
Later in the week we visited the Garden at the Garden Organic site in Coventry. I looked around the orchards, and they way they have set up and establised it. They are using losts more pest controls than me. Then have Grease bands, Lady bug nests, Phomone traps plenty of plants that will attract bees and other forms of wildlife. The pictures are from the Organic Garden Orchard.

No comments: